A simple pita bread recipe for delightful homemade pita bread. It suits many dishes, especially food from the Arab world and India. Pita bread is the bread from Arabic cuisine, but it is known as Arabic bread, Syrian bread or Lebanese bread too.
Ingredients for Pita Bread Recipe
25 g of fresh yeast
3 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 cups rye flour (sifted: having been passed through a sieve)
4-5 cups bread flour
1. Crumble the yeast in a dough bowl. Heat the water to 37ºC and mix the yeast with it.
2. Add salt, sifted rye flour and wheat flour. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
3. Put the dough on floured work surface. Divide it into 12 equal pieces and shape into round buns. Let these pieces rest under a cloth for about 20 minutes.
4. Roll them into round buns “cookies” 10-12 cm in diameter. Place them on plates with floured baking paper. Cover and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 250ºC.
6. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes. Your quick pita bread is ready to eat.
You can take it with Hummus, Tahini, Baba Ghannouj or any kind of sauce you like. This can be filled with any kind of filling as vegetables, chicken, falafel, feta cheese or whatever filling you want. Pita bread gives best taste experience with chicken filling.
This recipe can make approximately 12 pita breads. If you want to change the number of breads, you’ll have the change the amount of ingredients.
You can make pita bread easily with Pita Bread Maker. Buy it on Amazon.
Watch the YouTube video below to have pita bread recipe with yeast
Another YouTube video with pita bread recipe without yeast and without oven
Please write your comments about pita bread in the comment section below. You can give suggestions and can tell your own recipe too.