Easy and healthy Lebanese Falafel recipe. Falafel is undoubtedly the most famous and eaten dish all around the Arab region. It is well-known in Lebanon, Egypt, UAE and other Middle Eastern countries.
More Lunch & Dinner Ideas:
Lebanese Kibbeh Nayyeh
Arabic Pita Bread
Indian Chicken Biryani
Peking Roasted Duck
Chinese Chow Mein
Baked Fish Recipe-Lemon baked salmon with mashed potatoes
Sushi Rice Rolls (Japanese Rice)
Paella Rice (Spanish Rice)
Indian Chicken Curry
Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken
Ingredients for Lebanese Falafel Recipe
3 cups soaked chickpeas
1 small onion
1 cup parsley leaves
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 pinches of black pepper
1 pinch of cardamom powder (optional)
Neutral cooking oil for deep frying
Directions to make Falafel
1. Soak the chickpeas first. Add the chickpeas in a bowl and pour over boiling water to cover.
2. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then drain and let the peas drain properly.
3. If you are going to use a food processor, add all the ingredients of falafel and blend until fairly dry batter. If you do not have a food processor, you can grind the chickpeas and finely chop the rest of the ingredients. If the batter is too wet, add more flour.
4. Heat necessary amount of oil in a heavy saucepan to 180 ° C. (The size of your saucepan can refer the amount of oil for deep frying)
5. Shape the balls of the batter.
6. Deep fry 4-5 balls at a time for a few minutes so that they are dark golden brown. Make sure to wait between each round so that the temperature rises to 180 ° C, otherwise falafel balls can melt into the oil. Let the balls drain on paper.
Your Falafel is ready to eat and serve.
Watch the Lebanese Falafel Recipe YouTube video here.
If you are a health conscious (and you should be) and don’t want to eat fried meals, you can try the baked falafel. Here is the recipe for baked falafel.
Ingredients and preparation process is almost the same. But in spite of frying, you can place the balls in the lightly oiled tray and bake them in over at 200 ° C for 7-10 minutes.
Before serving, you can add some more side dishes or sauces to add more taste.
Add some more taste
Falafel gets more delicious if it is served with tradition falafel sauces or yogurt. So, read below to have the related falafel sauce recipe and yogurt recipe if you want to add more flavor to it.
Pickled onions are a better choice to have with falafel. Here is how to make pickled onions.
Ingredients for Pickled onions
2 red onions (shredded in length)
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste
Directions to make Pickled Onions to serve with Falafel
1. Mix the pickled onions and let the sit in the fridge for 15 minutes and you are done.
Hummus is another better option which can make it rich in taste. Hummus sauce is great with falafel.
Ingredients for Hummus Sauce
300 grams of organic chickpeas, drained but not rinsed
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions for Sauce
1. In a food processor, add and mix all the ingredients for hummus and blend until you have a nice & smooth cream. Season with salt and black pepper powder (optional).
A detailed Hummus recipe can be found by clicking here.
You can even use Tahini with falafel. Click here for Tahini recipe.
Yogurt is another tasty option to add. Read below for its recipe.
Ingredients for Yogurt Dressing
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon chopped mint or coriander
Salt to taste
Directions for Yogurt Dressing
1. Mix all ingredients for the yogurt dressing and season with salt.
Use pita bread and tomato slices to serve with. Click here to read the pita bread recipe.
This dish is purely vegan. Not meat or chicken added. A perfect and delicious dish for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian people.
This Lebanese Falafel Recipe can serve up to 5 people. If you want to increase or decrease the number of servings, you’ll have to adjust the amount of ingredients and cooking time as well.