Ayran is a thirst-quenching drink happily served with hot and spicy food. It should ideally be served ice cold with ice. A popular yogurt drink in the Middle East, Turkey and Lebanon. It has many versions but the main and most popular version belongs to Susurluk (a small town in western Turkey). This is also drunk in South Asia, where it is called as “Lassi”. Ayran drink is a kind of diluted yogurt because the main ingredients are refreshing yogurt, salt and ice water. Very refreshing yogurt drink, especially in summer season. Now, let’s move towards the recipe.
Ingredients for Homemade Ayran Recipe
5 cups plain yogurt (liquid yogurt in tetra pack)
5 cups water
Salt to taste
1. Mix yogurt, water and salt all together. Whisk vigorously until mixed together properly. You can whisk with a hand whisk or blender.
2. Taste the drink and add more water / yogurt or more salt to have required taste and thickness. Have the seasoning if desired.
3. Your tasty drink is ready. Make sure to add some cubes of ice before serving.
Watch the video below to have the Lebanese Ayran recipe
Sweet Ayran Recipe
Sweet Ayran is a more satisfactory and refreshing in the summer. There is a slight change in sweet and regular ayran. Here is the recipe.
5 cups plain yogurt (don’t add yogurt water, we need just yogurt)
5 cups water
5 tablespoons sugar (Sugar can be adjusted according to your own taste)
1. Add yogurt, water and sugar in a blender and blend it until smooth.
2. Ice can be added according to season or according to your own desire.
Ayran Recipe with Mint & Garlic
This satisfactory drink has some kind of variations according to the taste of different people. Below is the recipe with mint and garlic. This can add more taste and nutritional value to it. More thirst-quenching, tastier and more appealing. Let’s have a look at its recipe.
Yogurt as mentioned above (5 cups)
5 cups of water
3 to 4 cleaned leaves of mint
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
Salt to taste or 5 tablespoons of sugar (Choose one according to your taste. Sometimes people want to add both because they love it with some sweet and salty taste)
1 lemon (It can make it richer in taste)
1. The process is pretty simple. Just add all the ingredients with some ice cubes in a food processor and blend it until smooth.
2. Stop the blender and taste it. Add more quantity of salt (or sugar) or water.
Watch the video below to for visual recipe.
Important to read:
Ayran looks beautiful and felt tasty if there is a lot of foam on its surface. The froth can enhance the taste experience and beauty.
The secret of more foam is mineral water. It is important to use mineral water to make Ayran foamier.
Here comes the informational catch:
- Same type of drink has been drunk in South Asia, especially in Pakistan / India. This drink is called “Lassi” over there. Click here and here to watch tradition atmosphere .
- The names are different in the Middle East and South Asia, but recipe and the ingredients are almost the same.
If you are taking Ayran just for pleasure, it is recommended to have the mint/garlic version.
Please write your feedback about chilled ayran yogurt drink, in the comment section below.