A traditional French Baguette bread is the icon of French cuisine. Very tasty and easy to digest bread can be eaten with a variety of main dishes. It can be eaten at breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can make a baguette without a bread machine with this recipe.
People think that French baguette can’t be made at home and this a commercial product etc etc etc…. Despite all of the rumors, there is a good news that you can make French baguette at your very own home.
Wow. Just imagine, a bakery quality commercial baguette at your home
The food which amazed the major part of the world and we can say it the symbol of French cuisine with thin, crispy and crusty exterior and in the inside there is very tender very light and chewy experience. You’ll be really shocked that how simple is this. We are going to make it using simple, quick and easy method called no knead method. Let’s get started.
Serving: 2 Large (4 small baguettes)
Ingredients for French Baguette Recipe
500 grams all-purpose flour (4 cups, 18 Oz by weight)
1 and half cups of water (water having room temperature, no need of warm water)
1-3/4 teaspoons of salt
¼ teaspoon dry active yeast
1. Have the water in a large bowl and add the quarter tsp of yeast in it. Mix them with the help of a spoon and then add the salt and mix again.
2. Now add your last and main ingredient (flour). No need of bread flour (Bread flour recipe is here). We are using regular all-purpose flour for this. Mix the flour with the help of spoon. During the first minute of mixing, this can be a little bit wet, but when you keep mixing this will be a little bit dry. Keep mixing it until you will have the required and perfect dough. The required dough would be super thick and super sticky. If you measure all the ingredients in the correct manners then you can have the perfect dough.
3. After having the perfect dough, cover your bowl (dough inside) with a plastic sheet then with a towel or cloth. Let it rise for 12 to 14 hours or until doubled in size. Place the bowl in a turned off over for better results. If it rises and doubled earlier, it’s ok or if it takes more time than give it more time because this is an important step for our French baguette. (Tip: The sign of perfect dough is stickiness and moisturized)
4. Now place it on well-floured surface and sprinkle the good amount of flour on it. Make your hand very well-floured as well. Give it a rectangular shape and cut into 4 equal pieces.
5. Take one piece of dough and roll with your finger to give it the shape of traditional baguette. Start rolling from the center, roll and stretch towards the ends. Make sure to flour your hands very well to make the process easy. Work on the other pieces in the same manners.
6. Now have a baking pan and baking sheet on it. Sprinkle the flour on it. Place all your baguettes on baking sheet. Don’t be panic about the shape because it is going to be beautiful after baking. Cove it with the plastic sheet and let it rise about 1 to 1.5 hours or until doubled size.
7. At this point, we are ready to bake. Preheat the oven to 550 °F (more heat bakes well). Baguette needs moisture during baking to make authentic crust. So keep some water in a pot and place that pot on the bottom rack in the oven. Before placing the baguette in the oven, make some slashes with the help of a razor. Scissor can make this task very easy. Make slashes diagonally at 45 degrees. Mist with water before placing in the oven.
8. Now place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until well-browned. We need to spray the water 2 times while baking. After 5 minutes of baking, quickly open the door and spray water on the baguette and close it again. Give one more spray after 10 minutes of baking and turn around the pan. After 15 minutes, this will be the gorgeous and authentic French baguette.
Watch YouTube video for French Baguette bread recipe below.
Baguettes with Fruit and Vegetables Flavor
The above mentioned recipe was the baguette bread without any flavor. Guess what? We are going to tell the recipe of this wonderful bread with fruits and vegetable flavor. Freshly baked baguette enhances the mood. The flavor and juiciness come largely from vegetable leftovers from a juice extractor!
Just use fruit and vegetable juice of your own choice (preferably apple, celery and lime) instead of water and you are done. Other ingredients and preparing method are the same as mentioned above.
This French Baguette recipe can make 2 regular large breads or 4 small ones. You can adjust the amount of ingredients if you want to change the number of servings.